SC'00: Concentration in global C2 mkts still relatively low

14 December 2000 08:26  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (CNI)--The global ethylene (C2) industry remains relatively unconcentrated, despite recent consolidations, according to Danley Wolfe, director with consultants ChemSystems Thursday.

According to Wolfe, the top four producers account for only some 27% of the global market, and the top ten producers make up only 45%. The remaining 55% of the market is made up of a large number of relatively small producers, Wolfe said.

Market share of top ten C2 producers, end 2000:

Company

Market share in %

Dow/Union Carbide

10.0

ExxonMobil

6.9

Shell (incl. 50% Nicole)

5.4

Equistar

5.1

Sinopec

4.7

BP Amoco

3.1

Nova

2.9

SABIC

2.9

TotalElfFina

2.2

Enichem

2.1

Source: ChemSystems/IBM

Wolfe was presenting a paper on the styrene feedstock outlook at the 4th World Styrene Conference (SC'00) here, an event organised by Asian Chemical News and ICIS-LOR, sister organisations of CNI. The event ends Thursday afternoon.


By: Stefan Baumgarten
+1 713 525 2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly