Braskem and Pequiven detail $3.5bn investments

14 December 2007 00:12  [Source: ICIS news]

HOUSTON (ICIS news)--Brazil’s Braskem and Venezuela’s Pequiven on Thursday fleshed out previously announced plans to invest $3.5bn (€2.4bn) together in the Jose Petrochemical Complex in Venezuela by announcing two new companies.

Prolipropileno del Sur (Propilsur) will build a 450,000 tonnes/year polypropylene (PP) plant to start up in the second half of 2010. The plant will be integrated into a propane dehydrogenation unit, providing the project with greater integration and operational flexibility. The total investment in the project is estimated at about $900m.

Polietilenos de America (Polimerica) will build a natural gas-fed cracker with capacity of 1.3 m tonnes/year. The cracker will be combined with the production of 1.1m tonnes/year of polyethylene (PE), which will be produced in three industrial plants - high density polyethylene (HDPE), low density polyethylene (LDPE) and low linear density polyethylene (LLDPE). The project has an estimated cost of $2.6bn and operational startup scheduled for the second half of 2012.

Based on the shareholders' agreement signed on Thursday, the companies will be equally controlled by Braskem and Pequiven.

A hired financial advisor, not named in the statement, has already started contacting multilateral organisations, export credit agencies, development banks and private banks to structure the financing for 70% of the total investment through project finance and the remaining 30% through transfers in equal proportions by the partners.

($1.00 = €0.68)


By: John Waggoner
+1 713 525 2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index