09 March 2009 13:59 [Source: ICIS news]
(LONDON ICIS news)--Merck & Co has agreed to buy rival ?xml:namespace>
Under the agreement, Schering-Plough shareholders would receive 0.5767 share and $10.50 in cash for each share – valuing the shares at $23.61. The offer represents a 34% premium on Friday's closing share price.
“The combined company will benefit from a formidable research and development pipeline, a significantly broader portfolio of medicines and an expanded presence in key international markets, particularly in high-growth emerging markets,” said Merck chairman, president and CEO Richard Clark, who will lead the combined company.
Merck shareholders would own about 68% of the combined company following the deal, with Schering-Plough shareholders holding the remaining 32%.
The deal was expected to by “modestly accretive” to earnings in the first full year after completion and “significantly accretive” after that.
The transaction would be structured as a reverse merger, whereby Schering-Plough, renamed Merck, would continue to survive as the public corporation.
($1 = €0.79)
To discuss issues facing the chemical industry go to ICIS connect
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|