22 April 2009 18:22 [Source: ICIS news]
Braskem’s 200,000 tonnes/year “green” PE facility will cost reais (R) 500m ($223m, €172m) and is expected to start operations in 2011, the company said.
Braskem will shoulder 30% of the total investment, while the other 70% will come from financing sources.
According to Braskem, the unit will be the first in the world to produce ethylene at a commercial scale using a renewable source - sugarcane - as feedstock.
Braskem also announced that it signed a partnership with Brazilian firm Cromex to develop products using the company’s “green” PE.
Braskem operates 18 plants in ?xml:namespace>
($1 = R2.24 = €0.77)
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|