Sibur will not relaunch plans for management buyout - CEO

15 June 2009 16:26  [Source: ICIS news]

LONDON (ICIS news)--Sibur does not intend to relaunch its previous plans for a management buyout, the Russian petrochemical producer said on Monday.

The company suspended its plans for a $5.4bn (€3.8bn) deal in September 2009 due to the financial crisis, and the idea was now “off the agenda”, said Sibur CEO Dmitry Konov.

“We saw no sense in doing it when we saw the markets getting much worse,” he said.

Raising leveraged finance would do damage to the company, he added.

Konov also ruled out the possibility of an initial public offering (IPO), saying it would not be possible under current market conditions.

Gazprombank, the banking subsidiary of gas giant Gazprom, controls a 75% interest in Sibur, while Gazprom's pension fund, Gazfond, owns the remaining 25%.

($1 = €0.71)

Read Paul Hodges’ Chemicals and the Economy Blog
To discuss issues facing the chemical industry visit ICIS connect


By: Mark Watts
+44 20 8652 3214



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index