03 October 2009 02:13 [Source: ICIS news]
SAO PAULO (ICIS news)--A lawsuit was filed to halt talks that could lead to a possible alliance between Brazilian petrochemical majors Braskem and Quattor, the Rio de Janeiro justice court said on Friday.
The lawsuit was filed by Joanita Soares de Sampaio Geyer, a member of the family that controls UNIPAR, which holds a 60% stake in Quattor. State-owned energy producer Petrobras controls the remaining 40%.
In August, Braskem confirmed that it had been in negotiations with Quattor with the objective of “identifying possible opportunities for strategic alliances in their businesses.”
The market interpreted the talks as being a move for a possible acquisition of Quattor by Braskem. Quattor recently announced financial difficulties.
An acquisition of Quattor by Braskem could affect Unipar's stake.
The lawsuit named Braskem and Unipar. Petrobras, another potential player in the alliance talks, was also named.
The companies involved were not immediately available for comment.
To discuss issues facing the chemical industry go to ICIS connect
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|