16 March 2011 17:18 [Source: ICIS news]
HOUSTON (ICIS)--PepsiCo has developed the world's first polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic bottle made entirely from plant-based, fully renewable resources, the company said in a press release on Wednesday.
The bottle, which PepsiCo describes as 100% recyclable, is made from bio-based raw materials, including switch grass, pine bark and corn husks.
In the future, the company expects to add other renewable sources, including orange peels, potato peels, oat hulls and other agricultural byproducts from its foods business.
PepsiCo said it had combined biological and chemical processes to create a molecular structure that is identical to petroleum-based PET.
The company will pilot production of the new bottle in 2012. Upon successful completion of the pilot, the company intends to move directly to full-scale commercialisation.
PepsiCo’s announcement represents another milestone in the packaging industry’s long-term strategy to reduce its consumption of petroleum-based PET.
The Coca-Cola Company launched its PlantBottle brand in 2009, made from PET comprising up to 30% renewable plant material.
This was made possible by the company’s discovery of a way to produce monoethylene glycol (MEG) from plant material, namely sugarcane ethanol from Brazil.
MEG makes up 30% of PET by weight, while purified terephthalic acid (PTA) comprises the other 70%.
Last month, Coca-Cola and HJ Heinz announced a strategic partnership enabling Heinz to produce its ketchup bottles using Coca-Cola's PlantBottle packaging.In December 2009, Nestle Waters North America announced that it was lowering the resin content of its half-litre water bottle by 25% to 9.3 grams.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections