Petchems must start preparing for 2013 Reach deadline - ECHA

18 May 2011 10:29  [Source: ICIS news]

HELSINKI (ICIS)--Petrochemicals companies must start preparing now to be ready for the EU’s Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of Chemicals (Reach) deadline in 2013, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) said on Wednesday.

Speaking at the ECHA’s sixth stakeholders’ day in Helsinki, Finland, Christel Musset, director of registration at the ECHA, said that chemicals participants, which are required to register substances manufactured in or imported to the EU in volumes over 100 tonnes/year by 31 May 2013, must now begin the second phase of the Reach registration process.

“It is now two years from the next deadline…companies must start getting ready now  not just those in the European Union, but also the non-EU manufacturers and importers,” she said.

“From experience from the first deadline, [to be ready in time for the 2013 deadline] all the member dossiers need to be submitted in the second quarter of 2013, April and May,” Musset added.

Musset also said that lead registrants must have submitted their dossiers by 30 March 2013 to ensure members can carry out subsequent registrations.

The Reach legislation, which puts the onus on businesses to show that the chemicals they use are safe, was designed to promote better health, safety and environmental protection in the EU.

Musset said that the ECHA expects approximately 3,500 substances, which corresponds to about 15,000 dossiers, to be submitted for registration for the 2013 deadline.

This second phase of the registration process is likely to affect small-to-medium-sized enterprises and include more speciality chemicals.

The first Reach registration deadline – for substances sold in the EU in volumes greater than 1,000 tonnes/year and substances of very high concern (SVHC) – was on 30 November 2010.

To date, a total of 5,000 substances have been registered and 27,500 registration dossiers have been successfully submitted, said ECHA executive-director Geert Dancet.

Large companies make up about 86% of the registrations, with small-to-medium-sized companies making up the remaining 14%.

Musset added that companies that successfully submitted substances for the first phase of the registration deadline are still required to update their dossiers and may still need to carry out more tests.

Bookmark Doris de Guzman’s Green Chemicals blog for views on sustainability issues


By: Franco Capaldo
+44 (0)20 8652 3214



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index