05 July 2011 10:27 [Source: ICIS news]
GUANGZHOU (ICIS)--An oil spill at Peng Lai 19-3 (PL19-3), China’s largest offshore oilfield, has largely been brought under control, the official Xinhua news agency quoted China’s State Oceanic Administration as saying on Tuesday.
The spill happened at platforms B and C at around 19:00 local time on 4 June, Li Xiaoming, head of the State Oceanic Administration’s Marine Environment Protection Department, said in a statement.
There are no fishing activities in the waters where the spill occurred, Li said.
The spill covers an area of 840 square kilometres and nearly 70 cubic metres of the polluted water has been recovered as of 4 July, he added.
PL19-3, located in Block 11/05 at Bohai Bay in northern China, is jointly developed by China National Offshore Oil Corp (CNOOC) and ConocoPhillips China (COPC). CNOOC holds a 51% interest and the operator, COPC, holds the remaining 49% stake.
The State Oceanic Administration said COPC should be responsible for the incident under China’s laws.
PL19-3 covers an area of 3,200 square kilometres and was discovered in May 1999. The recoverable oil reserves in the field were estimated at 80m barrels. Production at the field started in September 2008, according to CNOOC's website.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|