Drilling halted after spill at China’s largest oil field – CNOOC

06 July 2011 07:38  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--The China National Offshore Oil Corp (CNOOC) said in a statement on Wednesday that drilling operations have been suspended following an oil spill on 4 June at the Peng Lai 19-3 (PL19-3) field at Bohai Bay in northeastern China.

CNOOC added that the spill was under control, after operator ConocoPhillips China (COPC) reduced the pressure at platform B of the oil field and implemented a cementing procedure at platform C on 19 June and 21 June, respectively.

The spill at platforms B and C polluted about 840sqkm of seawater, and nearly 70cbm of the polluted water had been recovered as of 4 July, according to the country’s State Oceanic Administration.

CNOOC made the announcement a day after the administration said that a spill had occurred.

The spill was the first of its kind in China and further study and analysis will be conducted on the cause of the incident, according to the CNOOC statement.

The PL19-3 oil field was jointly developed by CNOOC, which holds a 51% stake, and COPC, which holds the remaining 49% stake.

The Chinese regulatory authorities have asked COPC to promptly clean up the spill and support the investigation into the incident, the company said.

Both CNOOC and COPC are taking effective measures to minimise the impact of the spill on the marine environment, the statement said.

For more on CNOOC, visit ICIS company intelligence


By: Monica Lesmana



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index