China approves Sinopec, Saudi Aramco refinery joint venture

27 July 2011 08:13  [Source: ICIS news]

Petchem facility at YanbuGUANGZHOU (ICIS)--China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) has approved a 400,000 bbl/day refinery joint venture at Yanbu in Saudi Arabia between Sinopec and Saudi Aramco, NDRC said in a statement late on Tuesday.

NDRC is China’s top economic planner.

The approval was granted in June, according to the statement, but did not give the exact date.

Sinopec and Saudi Aramco signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in the middle of March for the joint venture, called Red Sea Refining Co (RSRC).

Sinopec holds a 37.5% stake and the remaining 62.5% is held by Saudi Aramco, according to earlier announcements from the two companies.

The refinery, which is expected to start operations in 2014, will be able to produce 90,000 bbl/day of gasoline, 263,000 bbl/day of ultra-low sulphur diesel, 6,300 tonnes/day of petcoke and 1,200 tonnes/day of sulphur, the announcements said.

By: Fanny Zhang
+65 6780 4359

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index