Shell leaves BASF, Total C4 joint venture in US

01 August 2011 20:26  [Source: ICIS news]

HOUSTON (ICIS)--Shell has left a C4 joint venture in the US that includes BASF and Total Petrochemicals, the companies said on Monday.

The joint venture, called Sabina Petrochemicals, operates a C4 complex in Port Arthur, Texas. The complex includes the world's largest single-train butadiene (BD) extraction unit and an indirect alkylation unit.

Shell left the joint venture effective on Monday, the companies said. With Shell gone, BASF will have a 60% stake in the venture, and Total Petrochemicals the remaining 40%.

BASF will continue operating the Sabina complex.

The complex is next to a steam cracker operated by BASF FINA Petrochemicals and a refinery operated by Total Petrochemicals.

The new structure of the Sabina joint venture should allow it to strengthen its synergies with those two neighbouring plants, according to a statement by Total petrochemicals CEO Geoffroy Petit. 

Meanwhile, BASF and Total plan to continue investing in the Sabina complex to make the most of its production capacity, according to a statement by BASF senior vice president, petrochemicals, Heidi Alderman.

For more on BD visit ICIS chemical intelligence
For more on BASF, Total or Shell visit ICIS company intelligence


By: Al Greenwood
+1 713 525 2645



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index