23 March 2012 16:51 [Source: ICIS news]
MEDELLIN (ICIS)--Refineria de Cartegena (Reficar) remains on schedule to begin the startup of the Cartagena refinery expansion in Colombia despite a labour strike at the project, the company said on Friday.
“To date, the impact on the project is minimal considering the project as a whole,” said Reficar. “The timetable to begin partial operations in August of 2013 is maintained.”
Of the 5,458 people working on the expansion, 400 contract workers employed by the main contractor, Chicago Bridge and Iron (CB&I), began a labour strike last week, Reficar said.
The workers are alleging wage inequality. There is no agreement between the workers and Reficar, the company said.
“Wages for all workers from various contractors and subcontractors who are working on the expansion project of the Cartagena refinery are competitive and above the average of the country's oil industry,” Reficar said.
The project aims to expand the Cartagena refinery to 165,000 bbl/day from its current capacity of 80,000 bbl/day.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
Asian Chemical Connections