22 August 2012 16:23 [Source: ICIS news]
LONDON (ICIS)--Three people were injured in a hazardous materials accident on Wednesday morning that led to the escape of nitric acid at a site belonging to a chemical distributor south of Hanover, Germany, fire department officials said.
The accident at CG Chemikalien in Laatzen occurred shortly before 09:00 local time, when a hose burst during reloading work, triggering a 20m-high toxic cloud.
The company’s 80 workers were evacuated. Three people were hospitalised with breathing difficulties and 10 were treated on-site for minor medical complaints, fire officials said.
CG Chemikalien could not be reached for comment. An employee said the management was not on-site on Wednesday afternoon.
CG is a medium-sized chemical trader and distributor. On the site at Laatzen the company has warehouse capacity for solid material, as well as tank volumes of about 4,200 cubic metres for acids, alkaline solutions and solvents, according to information on the company’s website.
The Laatzen fire department posted a short technical report about the accident on its website.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections