12 September 2012 10:57 [Source: ICB]
Saudi Polymers will start shipments to Asia of on-spec high density polyethylene (HDPE) film and blow molding grades from its new facilities in Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia, this month. The company is 65%-owned by Saudi Arabia's National Petrochemical (Petrochem), with the remaining 35% held by Chevron Phillips Petrochemical (ACP) - a subsidiary of Chevron Phillips Chemical.
A first-quarter start-up was originally planned at Al-Jubail
Saudi Polymers' new facility at the site in Al- Jubail can produce 1.17m tonnes/year of ethylene. Downstream units consist of two 550,000 tonne/year HDPE lines; a 400,000 tonne/year polypropylene (PP) plant; a 200,000 tonne/year polystyrene (PS) unit, and a 100,000 tonne/year 1-hexene plant.
Off-spec PS material from Saudi Polymers has been made available to Asia since July, sources said.
The Al-Jubail complex was initially planned to come on stream in the first quarter of this year but mechanical problems at the cracker prevented the downstream plants starting up on schedule.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
Sample issue >>
My Account/Renew >>
Register for online access >>
|ICIS Top 100 Chemical Companies|
|Download the listing here >>|