Man sentenced for bomb threat at Valero refinery in Texas

28 September 2012 22:25  [Source: ICIS news]

(recast with comments from Valero)

HOUSTON (ICIS)--A man will serve 37 months in prison for his involvement in the bomb threats made last year to the Valero refinery in Corpus Christi, Texas, US attorney Kenneth Magidson said on Friday.

A US district judge convicted Erasmo Luna, 27, of Robstown, Texas of persuading his cousin to make a series of calls to the refinery on 25 October 2011, claiming there was a bomb on the property.

Luna’s sentence included three years of supervision following his release and $145,000 (€112,000) in restitution to Valero.

“Hoax bomb threats will not be tolerated,” said FBI agent Stephen Morris, following Valero’s testimony on Friday on the financial harm such threats have on the company.

“These events are a strain on our resources, which impact our mission to protect our country from activities that threaten the safety and security of our society,” Morris said.

Luna’s cousin, Jose Padilla, 20, also of Robstown pleaded guilty to making the bomb threats on 9 February. He will remain in custody, pending his sentencing on 18 October.

In a statement, Valero spokesman Bill Day said, "Valero thanks the law enforcement officers who investigated, the US Attorney's office that prosecuted, and the judge who ruled in this case."

($1 = €0.77)


By: Tracy Dang
+1 713 525 2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly