10 December 2012 09:24 [Source: ICIS news]
By Pearl Bantillo
SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Saudi Polymers’s Al Jubail complex will remain shut for the rest of December and is expected to resume production sometime in January next year, the firm’s parent, The National Petrochemical Co (Petrochem), said late on Sunday.
The complex – which can produce 1.16m tonnes/year of ethylene, 1.1m tonnes/year of polyethylene, 430,000 tonnes/year of propylene, 400,000 tonnes of polypropylene (PP), 200,000 tonnes/year of polystyrene (PS), and 100,000 tonnes/year of 1-hexene – was taken off line on 10 November because of technical issues.
The shutdown was initially expected to last about four weeks.
“Petrochem announces that it expected the shutdown to be extended due to ongoing maintenance work being done [at the complex],” the company said in a filing to the Saudi Stock Exchange on 9 December.
“Although it is still difficult to give an accurate date for the restart of the project, it is anticipated that the project will be back in production during the month of January 2013,” it added.
Petrochem also announced that it has incurred losses of around Saudi riyal (SR) 264m ($70m) for the months of October and November.
The company holds a 65% stake in Saudi Polymers, with the remaining 35% held by Arabian Chevron Phillips Petrochemical, a wholly owned subsidiary of US-based Chevron Phillips Chemical (CPC).
($1 = SR3.75)
Read John Richardson and Malini Hariharan’s blog – Asian Chemical Connections
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections