04 February 2013 02:40 [Source: ICIS news]
SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Japan’s Teijin Chemicals and South Korean producer SK Chemicals are establishing a joint venture in July this year to build a new polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) resins plant in Ulsan, Teijin said on Monday.
The new plant will begin operations with a PPS resin annual production capacity of 12,000 tonnes/year starting in April 2015, it said in a statement.
The plant’s capacity is expected to be boosted to 20,000 tonnes/year “as demand grows”, it said.
The joint venture, in which Teijin Chemicals will hold a 34% share and SK Chemicals the remaining 66%, will develop, produce and distribute PPS resins and compounds, the company said.
“The joint venture will pursue global markets, with a special focus on the fast-growing Asian region, aiming to become a world leader in PPS resin and compounds,” it said.
PPS resin is used for parts surrounding vehicle engines and motors, electrical components, connectors and sockets, according to Teijin.
“The demand for PPS resin is expected to grow in line with the increasing popularity of electric and hybrid vehicles and the ongoing expansion of electronics markets in emerging countries,” the company added.
Teijin and SK Chemicals project a global market share of 20% by 2020 and annual revenues of $320m (€234m) in the fiscal year of 2024.
($1 = €0.73)
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections