Austria Borealis offers to buy Total stakes in 2 fertilizer firms

06 February 2013 21:10  [Source: ICIS news]

HOUSTON (ICIS)--Austria-based Borealis has made firm offers to Total for the company’s 56.86% interest in Belgium’s Rosier and all its outstanding shares of France’s GPN, Borealis and Total announced on Wednesday.

The offer to Total for Rosier is at €200/share, Borealis and Total said in separate statements. No numbers were released on the offer for GPN.

The planned transactions must be approved by the relevant authorities, including antitrust authorities in the countries concerned.

In the event Borealis acquires Total’s 56.86% interest in Rosier, it will be required to launch a mandatory public takeover bid for the remaining outstanding shares, Borealis said.

Borealis has been a key provider of nitrogen fertilizers in central Europe and is looking to grow into the market leader, the company said. As part of that strategy, it acquired France’s PEC-Rhin SAS in early 2012.

Borealis is a provider of solutions in the fields of polyolefins, base chemicals and fertlizers. It had sales of €7.1bn ($9.6bn) in 2011 and has 5,300 employees worldwide. It is owned by Abu Dhabi’s International Petroleum Investment Co (IPIC), which has a 64% share, and Austria’s OMV, which has the remaining 36%.

Rosier is a mineral fertilizer manufacturer with production facilities in Moustier, Belgium, and Sas van Gent, the Netherlands. The company has 250 employees and revenue of €265m.

GPN supplies about 25% of the French nitrogen fertilizer market, with revenue of €500m, Total said.

($1 = €0.74)


By: Jeremy Pafford
+1 713 525 2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly