Reliance Sibur Elastomers building new butyl rubber unit in India

22 February 2013 08:35  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Reliance Sibur Elastomers has begun building its new 100,000 tonne/year butyl rubber plant at Jamnagar in India, Russian firm Sibur said on Friday.

Commercial operations at the plant, located at Reliance Industries’ existing integrated petrochemical site, are “tentatively scheduled” to begin in 2015, it said.

Once commissioned, the new plant is expected to become India’s primary producer of butyl rubber, according to Sibur.

“The BEP [Basic Engineering Package] at the new plant was completed in November 2012 and detailed engineering is underway. Reliance Sibur Elastomers is now placing orders for long-lead equipment,” it said.

Reliance Sibur Elastomers is a joint venture (JV) between India’s Reliance Industries and Russian gas processing and petrochemicals firm Sibur. Reliance Industries owns 74.9% of the JV and SIBUR the remaining 25.1%.

Financial details of the new plant were not disclosed.

By: Nurluqman Suratman

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index