01 April 2013 17:15 [Source: ICIS news]
HOUSTON (ICIS)--An ExxonMobil spokesman confirmed on Monday that the company is continuing cleanup operations after Friday’s pipeline leak and crude oil spill in Arkansas that forced the evacuation of 22 homes.
The 20-inch (51-cm) Pegasus pipeline was shut late Friday afternoon after an apparent breach occurred near Mayflower late Friday afternoon, ExxonMobil said.
As of Sunday, approximately 12,000 bbl of oil and water had been recovered, and 3,600 feet (1.1km) of boom was deployed near Lake Conway as a precaution, the company said.
The city of Mayflower recommended continued evacuation of the homes affected, and the police provided escorts for residents from the area closest to the pipeline breach to return to their homes temporarily to pick up personal items.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has categorised the incident as a major spill, and a number of federal, state and local agencies are assisting ExxonMobil with response efforts.
The cause of the spill is under investigation, the company said.
Follow Tracy on Twitter
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
Asian Chemical Connections