05 April 2013 05:24 [Source: ICIS news]
SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Thailand’s PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC) plans to bring down naphtha consumption at its I-4 No 1 cracker in Map Ta Phut by the end of 2014, the company’s CEO said on Friday.
Naphtha makes up 95% of the cracker’s feed, while gas accounts for the remaining 5%. The company is working towards reducing the share of naphtha to 50% in the cracker’s feedstock, PTTGC CEO Anon Sirisaengtaksin told ICIS.
The cracker has an ethylene capacity of 515,000 tonnes/year.
“This would make the cost of ethylene more competitive,” he said.
PTTGC’s other crackers are running on natural gas, its main advantage over the other producers in Asia.
Currently, 85% of its petrochemical production is based on natural gas, while 15% is based on naphtha, Sirisaengtaksin said.
High naphtha costs have been squeezing the margins of Asian cracker operators, prompting those in South Korea to introduce liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in their feedstock mix.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections