Brazil plastics production up 4.8% in Jan-Feb

23 April 2013 22:44  [Source: ICIS news]

MEDELLIN, Colombia (ICIS)--Brazil’s production of processed plastics in the first two months of 2013 increased by 4.8% compared with the same period last year, the country’s plastics industry association said on Tuesday.

According to Abiplast, production in the plastic packaging and mixed plastics sectors rose by 8% and 6.2% respectively, while laminate production was down by 5.5%.

The apparent consumption of processed plastics -- the sum of production and imports minus exports -- in January and February stood at Brazilian reais (R) 9.7bn ($4.8bn, €3.7bn), a 13% increase compared with the same period in 2012.

Domestic production met 86% of the country’s demand for processed plastics, with imports accounting for the remaining 14%, the association said.

Exports of plastic products for the two-month period were down 7.3% year on year to $195m, while imports rose by 11.5% to $606m, with the trade deficit widening 23.4% to $411m, Abiplast said.

In an article published earlier this month, Abiplast president Jose Ricardo Roriz Coelho predicted that the country’s plastics processing industry would increase production by 1% in 2013.

Revenues are also expected to rise by 6.6%, or 1.4% in real terms, while investments in the industry would be on a par with 2012 levels, Coelho said.

However, he warned that the industry continued to face a number of long-term challenges, in particular the lack of competitiveness and the growing trade deficit.


By: Simon West
713-525-2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly