10 July 2013 19:00 [Source: ICIS news]
HOUSTON (ICIS)--Synthesis Energy Systems (SES) expects its Yima joint venture methanol plant in China to transition from commissioning to full commercial operations during the summer, the US-based coal gasification firm said on Wednesday.
The coal-to-methanol plant has ramped up production to 60% of its 300,000 tonne/year design capacity, and sales of methanol at commercial scale have commenced, SES said.
China government-owned Yima Coal Industry Group owns 75% and SES has the remaining 25% interest in the joint venture for gasification, methanol production, methanol protein production, as well as utility island components for the plant.
The $250m (€195m) integrated coal-to-methanol project, with facilities to develop production of methanol protein, is the first phase of the planned $4bn Maozhuang Industrial Park in Henan province.
Upon its successful completion, the second phase would expand capacity by 300,000 tonnes/year of methanol or methanol-equivalent product, and the third phase would add another 600,000 tonnes/year.
The Yima joint venture plant contains three SES gasification systems, in which the first was used to produce the initial methanol from the plant in December.
“The Yima JV plant is progressing well and is achieving important methanol production rate milestones, as well as proving out the capability, robustness and flexibility of the SES gasification systems operating there, including the first gasifier system, which is now operating at 90% of capacity,” SES CEO Robert Rigdon said.
($1 = €0.78)
Follow Tracy on Twitter
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections