12 July 2013 20:01 [Source: ICIS news]
MEDELLIN, Colombia (ICIS)--The decision by a Spanish court to judge a lawsuit filed by oil giant Repsol against former Argentine subsidiary Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales (YPF), US oil major Chevron and Sino-Argentine group Bridas was downplayed by YPF on Friday.
“The court’s ruling is a purely procedural decision that has no bearing on the activity of YPF or its position with regards the lawsuit brought by Repsol,” said a spokesperson for YPF. The decision “does not resolve the central issue”, he added.
The court’s decision follows recent negotiations between YPF and Repsol to agree on a compensation package for last year’s expropriation.
In June, Repsol’s board rejected an offer from YPF of a 47% stake in a joint venture to exploit a small part of Vaca Muerta, valued at around $3.5bn. The offer, described by Repsol as “unsatisfactory”, also included $1.5bn toward development.
“YPF will continue defending its interests, putting forward all the arguments and evidence in its defence,” YPF said. “If necessary, it will also call into question the competence of the Spanish courts.”
According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA),
The Argentine company is keen to partner with investors to develop this potential as the country seeks to become energy independent.
Although the consequences of the Spanish court’s ruling are unclear, would-be partners already wary about investing in
The deal with Chevron, worth $1.5bn, will reportedly be signed off next week, although the
($1 = €0.76)
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
Asian Chemical Connections