25 July 2013 15:03 [Source: ICIS news]
(recasts, clarifying QVC company composition in second paragraph)
LONDON (ICIS)--Qatar-based Qatar Vinyl Company (QVC) will begin constructing an expansion of its chlor-alkali plant in Mesaieed as soon as it can secure a safe supply of ethylene, a source at the company said on Thursday.
QVC has capacity to produce 290,000 tonnes/year of caustic soda, 175,000 tonnes/year of ethylene dichloride (EDC), and 230,000 tonnes/year of vinyl chloride monomer (VCM). It is a limited shareholding company by Qatar Petroleum, QAPCO and Arkema of France, in which QAPCO holds a 31.9% stake.
The source added that QVC has now finished a basic engineering study and is waiting for Shell and Qatar Petroleum (QP) to commence construction of a world scale petrochemicals plant in Qatar which will be able to supply ethylene to QVC.
"Once we know we can secure ethylene, we will start construction which will likely take about 18 months," the source said.
The source added that construction could potentially start in 2015.
Shell and QP signed a heads of agreement in December 2011 on the proposed world-scale petrochemical complex that is estimated to cost $6.4bn (€4.86bn), in which Qatar Petroleum will hold an 80% stake and Shell will take up the remaining 20%.
($1 = €0.76)
Follow Janos Gal on Twitter
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections