Total's crackers operate as normal following Antwerp explosion

20 November 2013 11:08  [Source: ICIS news]

LONDON (ICIS)--The explosion at Total’s Antwerp, Belgium refinery in which two people died has had no impact on operations of the two crackers at the petrochemicals complex, company spokeswoman Victoria Chanial said on Wednesday.

The France-based energy and petrochemicals major owns and operates the NC2 and NC3 crackers at the site, with a nameplate capacity totalling 1.1m tonnes/year of ethylene, according to ICIS data.

The company announced the closure of a third, smallest cracker at the site, NC 1, earlier this year.

The explosion happened around 15:00 local time (14:00 GMT) on 19 November during maintenance work at a steam system of a gasoline producing unit. There was no fire after the explosion and no release of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, the company said in a statement.

The refinery is part of Total’s petrochemicals complex in Antwerp.

Follow Nel on Twitter


By: Nel Weddle
+44 20 8652 3214



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly