20 February 2014 16:37 [Source: ICIS news]
HOUSTON (ICIS)--Williams expects to restart its cracker in Geismar, Louisiana in June, two months later than anticipated and a full year after a fatal explosion at the site, executives for the US-based energy and petrochemicals firm said on Thursday.
Williams had previously said it was working towards an April restart.
Speaking during Williams’ fourth-quarter earnings conference call, the executives said that the cracker would be restarted with an expanded capacity of 1.95bn lbs/year (885,000 tonnes/year) of ethylene. At the time of last June’s explosion, Geismar was in the middle of a project to expand capacity from 613,000 tonnes/year.
“Right now, mechanical completion is expected in the first part of May, and there’s obviously a lot of things to go right” for a successful restart, CEO Alan Armstrong said on Thursday.
“Having said that, the window [for restarting] is probably from the last week of May through the end of June,” he added.
Lost production from Geismar was a negative for Williams’ fourth-quarter and full-year results.
Additional reporting by Jeremy Pafford
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
Asian Chemical Connections