28 April 2014 16:13 [Source: ICIS news]
LONDON (ICIS)--US-based engineering and construction firm Fluor said on Monday it has been awarded an engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) contract by joint venture firm BASF PETRONAS Chemicals for an integrated aroma ingredients facility in Kuantan, Malaysia.
Financial details for the contract were not disclosed..
Fluor completed the front-end engineering and design (FEED) for the facility in September 2013 and was awarded the EPCM phase once the project was sanctioned by BASF PETRONAS, it said.
In addition, Fluor has begun FEED services for a downstream menthol unit planned for the Kuantan facility, it added.The new facility will also produce citral, identical to a main component found in lemongrass and other essential oils. Citral is used in fragrances and flavors and is also a precursor for other aroma ingredients.
Ken Choudhary, president of Fluor Energy & Chemicals for the Asia region. “This new facility will enable BASF PETRONAS Chemicals to meet the fragrance and flavour industry’s growing needs.
German chemicals major BASF holds a 60% stake in BASF PETRONAS Chemicals while Malaysian state-owned producer Petronas Chemicals Group (PCG) owns the remaining 40% share.
In April 2014, BASF PETRONAS Chemicals broke ground on the integrated aroma ingredients project in the Gebeng Industrial Park, Malaysia.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections