Kudzu as a biofuel crop?

I only ask the question whether Kudzu could be a cellulosic biofuel crop because I came across it on Corn is for Eatin, a blog post by David Esrati (who is standing for Congress). Kudzu seems to have all the qualities that you need: it fixes nitrogen, grows about 30 cm/day and was declared a pest by the US DoAg in 1953. In other words it is a weed. It seems to cost money to remove.

, , , ,

6 Responses to Kudzu as a biofuel crop?

1. David Esrati 24 June, 2008 at 4:26 pm #

Hi Simon,
    I’m no longer in the running for Congress.
    (and in this country we don’t stand for it- hell, we can barely stand the people that run :-)
    But, thanks for your comment from across the pond.
    I’m no expert on bio fuels- but, I do know, Corn isn’t one of the best conversion crops- and I do know- sweet corn, like we grow here in Ohio- sure makes good eating.

Thanks for your comment.

2. Simon Robinson 24 June, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

Its got to be more exciting watching people run rather than watching them stand still.

3. David B. Benson 25 June, 2008 at 12:13 am #

Yes, yes! Lots of kudzu. Make it into biofuel.

Quick. Before it takes over everything everywhere…

4. Dave Harcourt 30 June, 2008 at 9:26 am #

Sounds good and there are many other weeds around – in fact in South Africa, Jatropha is classified as a weed.

I fear it a logistics thing tough – moving 1000s and 1000s of tons of these weeds to a central place where scale can be achieved for the conversion, fermentation and distillation steps. This has to be costed out.

5. David B. Benson 2 July, 2008 at 1:06 am #

Goats eat kudzu?

If so, feed goats, herd goats, slaughter goats.

6. leanne 2 October, 2008 at 8:46 pm #

all ruminants eat kudzu. It’s higher in protein than alfalfa. The whole plant is edible for humans. The leaf is as good as collards, mustards, tunips, kale, spinach, the roots make flour, the flowers are great for making jelly. The vines make beautiful baskets. Kudzu should make great bio diesal!!