I just finished my article about California’s Green Chemistry Initiative and one of the key elements that most industry and manufacturing trade groups would like to see is incentive-based programs instead of mandatory policies (no surprise there!).
With that note, here are some of this year’s green awards that I came across within the two-month period. Just to let you know ICIS (Disclosure: I work for ICIS) is calling for entries to this year’s ICIS Innovation Awards. Deadline for entries is July 4.
1. Dow named “Best of the Best” winner by ESS for their sustainability projects.
2. North Carolina gave Syngenta their Industrial Biotechnology Leadership Award for this year.
3. The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) presented Patrick Gruber, Gevo’s CEO, its new George Washington Carver Award for innovation in industrial biotechnology.
4. Schnitzer Steel Industries bag the Steel Manufacturers Association’s “Recycler of the Year”.
5. Eastman Chemical earned the American Chemistry Council’s energy efficiency awards for the 15th consecutive year.
6. National Biodiesel Board and the Soap and Detergent Association awarded researchers from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) with their 2008 Glycerine Innovation Award.