Fashion tips for EPCA

Worried about what to pack for EPCA next weekend? Worry no longer – the ICIS fashion editor brings you this season’s “must haves” for the conference circuit. What’s hot and what’s not.

Expect to see a strong showing from the male handbag, a perpetual favourite amongst the Belgian, French and German contingents. Favoured colours will range from oxblood to the darkest chocolate, and always bulging.

Competing strongly with the handbag amongst the younger delegates will be the “manbag”, worn on a jaunty diagonal across the chest, or over the shoulder for this year’s more geeky look.

And at the cutting edge of fashion, expect to see a new entry from the “murse” (man+purse).

Hugo Boss suits will put in a strong appearance on everyone from north of the Alps.

ICIS men will be featuring Ralph Lauren shirts in pink or white, as purchased from the factory outlet store outside San Antonio.

Expect to see a fabulous array of chinos in larger sizes and checked shirts on anyone who has crossed the Atlantic for the conference.

Hair will be worn short, receding or bald – NEVER in a pony-tail.

Moustaches are IN in a big way, which will favour the Central European and South American contingents.

Ties will be orange, because “Orange is the new Red,” but methanol traders and Italian consultants are allowed bowties.

And shoes will be tight and painful after three days on your feet.

Send your chemical fashion problems or share your tips below…

, , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Fashion tips for EPCA

1. Chris 24 September, 2007 at 1:37 pm #

I’ll have you know that at least one of those ICIS men buys his pink shirts at Bentalls in Kingston for 4 times the price of the factory outlet…

2. Paul Brunner 24 September, 2007 at 1:46 pm #

If anybody ever sees ME wearing or carrying a male handbag at the EPCA – or ANYwhere for that matter – please shoot me.

I hope at least your charity gets some money for the fact that I’ve written this load of drivvle, Barbara.

3. David Byrne 24 September, 2007 at 1:49 pm #

makes me wish I was going to be at EPCA!

4. Shelley 24 September, 2007 at 2:16 pm #

For those men who want to be in with the in-crowd… understand TK Maxx does a fine line in manbags – or you could always try Bentalls in Kingston… again at 4 times the price

5. Chris 24 September, 2007 at 2:39 pm #

I for one will definitely be wearing my hair bald and my chinos large at EPCA this year. But I’m interested that despite your earlier post about the growing number of females working in chemical industry you’ve chosen to restrict your comments to men’s fashion only Barbara?

6. Carl 24 September, 2007 at 2:44 pm #

Hugo Boss suits! Ralph Lauren shirts! I think a few guys need to do a bit of shopping before EPCA. Not me of course….Where is that TK Maxx again??

7. Ed 24 September, 2007 at 2:46 pm #

A lot of people say guys shouldn’t wear brown shoes with a dark suit…I intend to prove them wrong this year…so look out for the only pasty north west European in Italian tanned brogues!

8. Worried 24 September, 2007 at 2:50 pm #

In my day small hand-held bags would be used only by pomaded Jessies and other riff-raff, typically with oiled hair and moustaches to match. Now, my wife bought me a manbag two years ago and its gained me some respect as I get off the train at the Elephant and Castle. It is black, though, and looks a little like a shoulder holster. Is that appropriate for the EPCA this year (along with the gold tooth and Burbury), or should I go for something a little more down market?

9. Ally 24 September, 2007 at 2:54 pm #

‘fabulous aray of chinos’
    what have I told you? chinos will never be acceptable

10. soo abram 24 September, 2007 at 2:59 pm #

Murses are more favourable than the equivalent of all possessions kept in the front trouser pocket. Unhygenic, especially in the old days of flourishing a two week old hanky, attached to carkeys, loose change and biros…..

11. Eddie 24 September, 2007 at 3:11 pm #

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes

12. Eddie 24 September, 2007 at 3:13 pm #

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes!

13. Biofuelsimon 24 September, 2007 at 3:16 pm #

Ed, Dear Boy, Never wear brown in Town, or on business.

14. Eddie 24 September, 2007 at 3:22 pm #

You are right, Simon, men of renown never wear brown.

15. Ashok 24 September, 2007 at 4:12 pm #

Shoes shoes shoes .. I want comfortable shoes!!

16. Tracy Dulle 24 September, 2007 at 5:40 pm #

Can’t wait to see the male handbags! I’m afraid Barbara that I might be underdressed after reading this!

17. Stephen 24 September, 2007 at 6:50 pm #

I think we will see hats playing a stronger role in EPCA fashion this year. The Houston visitors in particular have an opportunity to tickle the European fascination with the wild west.

18. Mark in Fulham 26 September, 2007 at 1:43 pm #

I can’t square your comment on moustaches with my personal experience; my wife, family and colleagues were very relieved when I at last shaved it off.

19. Ram 27 September, 2007 at 5:31 am #

Fashion and EPCA – never thought I’d see the day.
    And yes, if I see a man purse (or murse as elegantly put – only hope one doesn’t see mirts – male skirts – or meels – work that one out), will certainly do some shooting.
    And a gold tooth, Burbury and a manbag – now that should be a sight to behold.