Shipping news: Titan Uranus

I saw this on BBC2′s “Have I got a bit more news for you” on Saturday.

titan uranus.jpg

Surely it is a fake, because the well-known Titan Petrochemicals fleet of very large crude carriers and coastal tankers lists only the Titan Mercury, Titan Aries, Titan Scorpio, Titan Gemini, Titan Chios and Titan Neptune.

, , , ,

8 Responses to Shipping news: Titan Uranus

1. Anonymous 22 April, 2009 at 2:56 am #

Titan has been selling off ships recently (see 2006 fleet), but they never had one named Uranus.

This is probably a photoshop of the Titan Taurus.

2. Rick 15 August, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

From the the 2004 Annual Report of the Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited: “Titan acquires a VLCC, Titan Venus and signs a bareboat charter for a second VLCC, Titan Uranus, both over 250,000 dwt.”

3. Jim 22 August, 2009 at 1:12 am #

Yep, that PDF does reference the “Titan Uranus” twice. Too funny.

4. Vittorio 4 September, 2009 at 1:17 am #

All the Titans are registered in Panama. This, though amusing, is obviously photoshopped or the like.

5. Bob Couttie 12 September, 2009 at 7:49 am #

The photo is a hoax, I researched it for my own website and the IMO number displayed is that of Titan Taurus BUT…

IMO number : 7614252
    Name of ship : TITAN URANUS
    Call Sign : S6CF7
    Gross tonnage : 4491
    Type of ship : Oil Products Tanker
    Year of build : 1974
    Flag : Singapore
    Status of ship : Dead
    Last update : 2004-04-05

6. Bob Couttie 16 September, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

There were, in fact, two ships called Titan Uranus, both registered in Singapore, and also, at different times in China. Neither was registered in Panama, according to the Equasis database.

One of them was later renamed to Titan Uranus from Titan Taurus.

I believe the famous photo was photoshopped by someone who didn’t know the vessel’s history. But Taurus was,indeed, previously the Titan Uranus.

7. Chris Bedford 16 October, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

I work in a P&I insurance firm and we insured the vessel until 2006 so i can assure you it is true!!!!!!!(Hard to believe but true)

8. Mark Aplin 27 November, 2009 at 11:13 pm #

This ship does or did exist. It came into port at Sheerness Docks (UK) about 4 years ago.
    Was a good source of humour for quite a while!
    I’m sure we have records of it’s berthing somewhere.