ICIS offers a spectrum of short-to-long term pricing and market intelligence that are thoroughly gathered by our team of local industry experts.
- Weekly price reports
- News and market commentary
- In-depth annual studies on China
- Supply and demand data (up to 2030)
Use ICIS information to:
- Follow price fluctuations and drivers
- Monitor supply/demand dynamics
- Negotiate contracts using a direct price reference
- Gain local expertise on China markets
- Input into your own internal analytical models
Butadiene - C4s Asia Transcript
The butadiene (BD) market report is a weekly report. It tracks all the spot trades in Asia. We gather this information by speaking to all the major players in the market: including producers, consumers, traders and distributors.
BD is used by the downstream synthetic rubber producers including styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) and polybutadiene rubber (PBR) producers.
It is traded on a spot basis in northeast Asia and southeast Asia. The spot transactions are captured every week. They are verified, they are checked and analysed and discussed in detail in the report. The information includes plant shut-downs, turnarounds, outages an well as new plant startups.
This information is very important because it impacts on supply. And supply is a major issue in determining the price of BD.
Of course, the downstream SBR and PBR producers are also major consumers of BD and we also track all the events that are happening in the downstream SBR and PBR markets including their plant start ups and shut downs.
As it is supply and demand are the major determining factors in the BD market.
The BD report is an essential report because the spot numbers are used in the monthly contract negotiations and settlements. The major BD producers and consumers refer to the ICIS spot numbers when they discuss and settle their monthly contracts.
The major producers and major consumers need the report. The information that is captured on a weekly basis is verified, checked and analysed thoroughly. All this information goes into helping the decision makers settle their monthly contracts.
Butadiene - C4s news and market information products from ICIS
We offer the following regional Butadiene - C4s coverage to keep you informed of factors and developments affecting prices in the Asia Butadiene - C4s marketplace.
Price Reporting – More information about the price reports we publish on Butadiene - C4s
Independent price assessments and market coverage
Price History – More information about the historical price data we publish on Gas
Track historical price data
News & analysis
News & Analysis - News & market analysis specifically relating to Butadiene - C4s
Breaking news of latest developments affecting the markets.
Insight and analysis of factors driving prices.
Updated to Q1 2016
Asia butadiene (BD) spot prices surged to $1,100/tonne CFR NE Asia in early March, up by more than 40% since early January.
A spate of unplanned outages lifted prices. News that Shell will prolong the unplanned shutdown of its cracker and 155,000 tonne/year BD extraction unit till September bolstered the surge in prices. Shell declared force majeure in early December 2015 and its cracker and BD unit were expected initially to be shut till around May or June.
Unplanned outages at Petrochemical Corporation of Singapore and at Shanghai SECCO after the Lunar New Year holidays further exerted upward price pressure. Buying interest also picked up in mid-February after the Lunar New Year.
However, in mid-March, BD prices started to weaken and fell to around $1,050/tonne CFR NE Asia as buyers retreated to the sidelines. Supply has eased as more than 60,000 tonnes of deep-sea cargoes from Europe and the US have been scheduled to arrive in Asia from March to May.
Asia butadiene price report
- Whether you are a buyer, seller or trader of butadiene in Asia, ICIS has the information you need to stay on top of the latest price movements and fluctuations. Our weekly pricing report gives you access to all of the following assessments: CFR (cost and freight) Southeast Asia
- CFR (cost and freight) Northeast Asia
- CFR (cost and freight) Taiwan
The report also covers information on production news and downstream markets (styrene butadiene rubber and polybutadiene rubber), ensuring you have the information you need to better understand price drivers
China Olefins Annual Study
The ICIS China Olefins Annual Study provides a comprehensive overview and analysis of the country’s olefins industry, broken down by key products – ethylene, propylene and butadiene (BD) – with a one-year supply/demand data forecast.
Key information in this study includes:
- Comprehensive overview of China’s olefins industry, broken down into key markets – ethylene, propylene, BD
- In-depth supply/demand analysis of the China olefins market and forecast data up to a year ahead
- Accurate data mapping China’s market share of olefins, based on the different production processes
- Analysis of price, import capacity, government policies and latest development trends, including consumption volumes
- Detailed interaction between the olefins and derivative/downstream markets
China Coal-to-olefins Annual Study
The ICIS China Coal-to-Olefins (CTO) Competitiveness Report enables you to gain a detailed understanding of China’s fast-emerging CTO-based production. The report analyses the competitiveness and cost differences of coal-based production, and takes a look at other production processes based on different feedstocks such as propane, methanol, shale and naphtha.
Key information in the report includes:
- Comprehensive analysis of the economy, investment cost, competitive advantage and sustainability of olefins, based on different feedstocks
- Comparison between olefins production technologies with different feedstocks and their commercial applications
- Commentary on the influence of CTO developments on China’s olefins industry
- Analysis of macroeconomic policies and government regulations, and their impact on the CTO industry
- Evaluation of challenges, risks and the overall acceptance of China’s CTO industry
Asia butadiene supply and demand data
The ICIS Supply and Demand Database provides a single, highly searchable source of detailed historical data as far back as 1978 and forecast data up until 2030 for butadiene in Asia. The service combines fully reconciled supply/demand, trade, capacity and ownership data to give you multiple views of the market from a global, regional or country specific perspective.
ICIS collects pricing data on a wide range of chemical, energy and fertilizer products, including Butadiene - C4s. Our extensive experience in price reporting means we can offer you access to historical data dating back more than 20 years for certain commodities.
Our time series of pricing data enables you to build and model trends, to get a view of where markets might be heading. The data service includes charting functionality, allowing you to chart and download multiple data series for manipulation in your own internal models. You can also export data to Excel via the ICIS dashboard service.
ICIS price assessments are based on information gathered from a wide cross-section of the market, comprising consumers, producers, traders and distributors from more than 250 reporters world-wide. Confirmed deals, verified by both buyer and seller, provide the foundation of our price assessments.
Our in-depth market knowledge drives our specialist focus, as we recognise the importance of individual market dynamics and not a one-size-fits-all approach.
Over 25 years of reporting on key chemicals markets, including Butadiene - C4s, has brought global recognition of our methodology as being unbiased, authoritative and rigorous in preserving our editorial integrity. Our global network of reporters in Houston, London, Singapore, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Mumbai, Perth and Moscow ensures unrivalled coverage of established and emerging markets.