Web Analytics measure of visitors’ journey once on the website to track website performance.
- Visits measures the total number of times users come to a website. If the user is idle for approx. 30 minutes then they are counted as another visit when they proceed.
- Unique Users is a measure of individuals visiting a website in a given time period so that they can only be counted once however many times they visited. For example in a month you may have visited a website 12 times but you are counted as 1 unique user.
- Page Impressions measure how many pages were viewed by a user. 1 advert on a page will gain 1 impression whilst the user is viewing that page.
Web advertisements are different advertisements shown in the web site. They are different shapes and sizes. Web advertisements are measured in pixels and the advertisement rates are usually quoted per CPM.
- Pixel or picture element is a smallest image unit. If you look at a digital image closely you can see that the image is created of small blocks. These blocks are pixels. Pixels are used to measure images such as web advertisements. For example button advertisement is 120 pixels wide and 60 pixels high.
- CPM stands for Cost Per 1,000 impressions (mille in Latin is 1,000). So it is how much an advertiser pays for thousand times their advertisement is seen on a page, which is measured by page impressions.
- Banners are long rectangular boxes on a webpage containing text, images or animations. When a user clicks on the banner they are sent through to the advertisers website or a advertisers landing page.
- Leader Board is a type of banner ad, lying across top of the page. Leaderboards are thought to offer advertisers a great deal of space in a prominent position without intruding on content.
- Skyscraper is a tall and narrow banner ad, usually placed to the right of the content on the page. Skyscrapers continue to be at least partially visible as the user scrolls down the page.
- Buttons are small square boxes on a webpage containing text, images or animations.
- MPU stands for multiple purpose unit. A square online advert usually found embedded in a web page in a fixed placement. Called ‘multiple purpose’ as it is a flexible shaped blank ‘canvas’ in which you can serve flat or more interactive content as desired.
E-newsletters are content-led emails sent straight to your desktop. Recipients will have actively signed up and given their permission to receive the e-newsletter because they are interested in the content. Advertising is therefore being delivered to a captive audience. ICIS offers promotional opportunities in 4 newsletters, ICIS Reporter, CEO opinion, Chemical Logistics, ICIS Heren energy markets and CBI Times e-newsletters.
E-newsletter advertisements include mainly the same formats than in web sites such as banners and skyscrapers but in e-newsletters you can use other formats such as advertorials.
- Advertorial is an article type advertisement. You can use up to 50 words promoting your products and services. Advertorials can be linked with your web site or a landing page.
Landing Page: In online marketing a landing page, sometimes known as a lead capture page, is the page that appears when a potential customer clicks on an advertisement or a search-engine result link. The page will usually display content that is a logical extension of the advertisement or link, and that is optimized to feature specific keywords or phrases for indexing by search engines.
Click through rate (CTR): The performance of online advertisements are measured by click through rates (CTR). Click through rate is calculated by dividing the number of clicks your advertisiements received by the number of impressions the advertisiement received.
Search Engines are like online directories. By typing a term to a search field you can find information on the topic you are searching. ICIS search is a good example of specialized search engine. It helps you to find suppliers to chemicals you are looking to purchase. If you are supplier you can list your products in it just like in print directories. Through ICIS search you are able to send RFQ's.
Forums are places to hold discussions and post content. Forums can be referred to as newsgroups or message boards. Virtual community can develop among regular users. ICIS connect is a good example of online forum.
Webcasts are like seminars online. You can register to participate to these events and listen online the industry specialists discussing the latest hot topics.
Podcasts are audio programming delived through icis.com and third party websites. You can listen to ICIS podcasts online or you can download it to you mp3 player and listen to it at your convenience.