Edited from “Creating the world’s premier biopharmaceutical company”, and Pfizer to acquire Wyeth for $68bn in cash and stock creates the world's premier biopharmaceutical company”, deal facts company website.
On 20 July 2009, a merger agreement between Pfizer and Wyeth was approved, under which Pfizer will acquire Wyeth in a cash-and-stock transaction. The combined company is believed will create one of the most “diversified companies in the global health care industry”, with product offerings in growing therapeutic areas, a strong product pipeline, and leading scientific and manufacturing capabilities.
Its key aim is to have the best portfolio of products, pipeline and capabilities in the industry; positioned for sustainable growth; strong revenue diversification from stable, growing areas; leadership positions in key growing therapeutic areas; and focused on delivering patient-centric, innovative therapies.
Strategic priorities of the merger:
Strengthens platforms for improved, consistent and stable earnings growth
(1) Definitively address revenue loss from the loss of exclusivity from hypertension drug Lipitor;
(2) Forms broad, diversified portfolio of growth drivers; and
(3) Supports continuing progress in establishing a lower, more flexible cost base.
Drives improved performance through flexible business model
(1) Focused, agile business units;
(2) Backed by resources, scale of global enterprise; and
(3) Significant financial resources available for investment.
Extends global health care leadership
(1) Human, animal, consumer health; nutritionals;
(2) Primary and specialty care;
(3) Vaccines, biologics and small molecules; and
(4) Developed and emerging markets.
Enhances ability to meet unmet needs of patients, physicians and other customers
(1) Pipeline portfolio in “invest to win” disease areas;
(2) Enhances scientific, manufacturing and pharmaceutical science capabilities; and
(3) Provides the best opportunities for world class, high performing talent.
In addition, the following strategic points will be followed:
(1) Become a leader in biologics;
(2) Enter the vaccines market;
(3) Expand and invest to win areas;
(4) Strengthen leadership in emerging markets;
(5) Create new opportunities for established products;
(6) Invest in complementary businesses; and
(7) Establish a lower and more flexible cost base.
2012 financial targets
(1) Total revenues comparable to pro forma 2008 results of $70bn;
(2) Opportunity for improved, consistent, and stable top-line and earnings per share (EPS) growth, and enhanced shareholder value in the short and long term;
(3) Expect to be accretive to adjusted diluted EPS in the second full year after closing;
(4) Annual cost synergies of $4bn expected to be fully realised over three years after closing;
(5) Low to mid-single digit revenue growth expected post 2011;
(6) No drug is expected to account for more than 10% of the combined company's revenue in 2012; and
(7) Substantial financial flexibility retained given strength of balance sheet.
Download the The ICIS Top 100 Chemical Companies listing here
Sales ($ m)
R&D ($ m)
Net Profit ($ m)
Total Assets ($ m)
Diluted earnings per share ($)
Number of Employees
Back to company overview page
Pfizer is a healthcare company with sites in more than 150 countries around the world. It is divided into two main business segments. The first is pharmaceutical, which includes treatments for cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, central nervous system disorders, diabetes, arthritis, urogenital conditions and allergies, as well as the manufacture of empty soft-gelatin capsules.
More about Pfizer Structure
Get news on Pfizer plus the latest chemical news, information, data, market movements and analysis
in one place with ICIS news
Find details on other chemical companies and suppliers with
ICIS offers a range of FREE e-newsletters to ensure that you don't miss out on the latest development and key market intelligence in your industry. If you want the latest news sent to your inbox, sign up for ICIS e-newsletters today.
Find out more about current and planned chemical plants and projects by subscribing to our comprehensive database
INSIGHT: US ethylene set to peak in May on pipeline restart
"In Texas, expectations of a May pipeline restart not only pushed up pricing, but also lead to a surge in trading activity."
VIDEO: ICIS Special Report on Asia benzene, styrene dynamics