ICIS is implementing a process of rolling consultation on all of its methodologies. This consultation paper is part of this formal process and covers all of the ICIS primary price points included in the Polystyrene weekly publications.
The consultation asked both general questions about the suitability of the ICIS methodology and questions addressing specific polystyrene market issues.
Click here to download the Polystyrene Consultation
Summary of responses
Following the recent announcement that ICIS would be launching a formal methodology consultation process, we received two confidential responses from key market players.
The responses do not provide any feedback indicating ICIS should change its current methodology for deals-based reporting of polystyrene markets in any of the geographical regions.
In response to requests about coverage in the Asia Pacific and China reports, ICIS intends to do as follows.
1) The China domestic assessments in the ICIS Asia Pacific Polystyrene report will not be split into two separate quotes. Details on the low and high end prices are available in the ICIS China Polystyrene report.
2) ICIS will clarify in the Polystyrene methodology document that FCFC’s prices are considered for the DEL China price assessments, and that the prices will be reflected in the daily and weekly assessments if they are deemed to be representative of the market in the assessment period.
3) ICIS will continue to take Astor as one of the high-end markers because based on market feedback, Astor is still widely seen as a high-end marker.
4) ICIS will continue to assess domestic polystyrene prices on a DEL China basis because that is how the China domestic polystyrene market trades.
5) ICIS will adjust the methodology so that the DEL China weekly assessments in the Asia Pacific Polystyrene report reflect weekly average prices.
To provide further comments or feedback on the ICIS polystyrene methodology, please contact:
Barbara Ortner: Barbara.Ortner@icis.com