Saudi Arabia's Sadara petrochemical to start PU prod in late 2016

Author: Fahima Khail

2014/10/20

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Saudi Arabia’s Sadara petrochemical complex in Jubail expects to start commercial production of polyurethanes (PU) in late 2016, a senior company executive said on Monday.

Peter Harrison, conversion park manager at Sadara, said he could not comment on a product specific timeline but expected production at the whole complex to be completed in 2016. Some facilities at the complex are projected to begin operations in mid-2015, he added.

Harrison was speaking at the third ICIS Polyurethane Chain Conference in Singapore that runs from 19-20 October.

The integrated complex will produce over 3m tonnes/year of chemical and plastic products, including products such as toluene di-isocyanate (TDI), methyl di-p-phenylene isocyanate (MDI), polyols and other feedstocks.

Sadara is a joint venture between US-based Dow Chemical and state-owned energy firm Saudi Aramco.

Saudi Aramco owns a 70% stake in the petrochemical project, while Dow holds the remaining 30%.

Additional reporting by Nurluqman Suratman