LONDON (ICIS)--Ashland’s acetylene production
facility in Marl, Germany, has been shut down after a fire
broke out that left six people injured, the US-headquartered
chemicals producer said on Thursday.
The fire broke out at 8:00 London time on Thursday, and was brought under control by the fire brigade at the Marl complex with the assistance of local fire personnel, a company spokesperson said.
Operations at the facility have been shut down while the cause of the fire and the extent of the damage is investigated, the spokesperson added.
“There was no danger to the surrounding community at any time. Operations at the facility have been shut down while the cause and extent of the fire is investigated,” it said.
“Six people received first aid treatment at the site for minor injuries and are now at home.”
Acetylene is used in the production of butanediol (BDO) using the Reppe process.
Supply of BDO has been tight this year on the back of a series of planned and unplanned shutdowns.