LONDON (ICIS)--The European Commission released on 14
July a “first batch” of legislative proposals aiming at
creating the needed policy infrastructure for hitting the new
2030 climate targets. Out of the thirteen pieces of
legislation part of the Fit for 55 package, five are set to
play a significant role in the European electricity sector.
- Recast of the Renewable Energy Directive
- Revamp of the Emissions Trading Scheme
- Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism
- Revision of the Energy Efficiency Directive
- Revision of the Effort Sharing Regulation
Yet, a period of no less than two years will pass before
the package’s final approval, leaving ample room for
stakeholders to have a say on the draft.