QP, Shell award Al-Karaana, Qatar complex FEED contract to Fluor

28 February 2013 16:14 Source:ICIS News

LONDON (ICIS)--Qatar Petroleum (QP) and Shell have awarded the front-end engineering and design (FEED) contract for their cracker and petrochemical project in Qatar to Fluor, the two companies said on Thursday.

The producing companies signed a heads of agreement on their proposed petrochemical complex that is estimated to cost $6.4bn (€4.9bn), in December 2011.

Qatar Petroleum will hold an 80% stake in the Al-Karaana Petrochemical Complex project and Shell the remaining  20%.

Under consideration for the complex are a worldscale steam cracker, with feedstock coming from natural gas projects in Qatar; a 1.5m tonne/year mono ethylene glycol (MEG) plant using Shell’s OMEGA (Only MEG Advantaged) technology; a 300,000 tonne/year linear alpha olefins unit using the Shell Higher Olefins Process (SHOP); and a 250,000 tonne/year oxo alcohols unit, Shell said.

Foster Wheeler won the basic engineering contract for the MEG unit in September 2012.

The geographic name ‘Al-Karaana’ refers to a water well.

($1 = €0.76)

By Nigel Davis