China’s Wuhan Petrochemical runs new cracker, MEG unit at 100%

29 August 2013 05:21 Source:ICIS News

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--China’s Wuhan Petrochemical achieved full operating capacity for both its new naphtha cracker and downstream monoethylene glycol (MEG) unit at Wuhan in Hubei province on 26-27 August, a company source said on Thursday.

The company started trial runs at the 800,000 tonne/year naphtha cracker at the end of July and successfully operated it at 100% capacity early in the week of 26 August, the source added.

The 260,000 tonne/year MEG unit, which was started up in end-July, has been using ethylene oxide (EO) for internal circulation, while waiting for ethylene feed from the new cracker, the source said.

The majority of Wuhan Petrochemical’s MEG output will be largely sold in east China, because demand in central China has been limited, the source added.

Wuhan Petrochemical is a joint venture between Chinese company Sinopec and South Korea’s SK Group. Sinopec owns a 65% share, while SK Group holds the remaining 35% stake.

By Becky Zhang