16 May 2009 00:01 [Source: ICIS news]
HOUSTON (ICIS news)--Residents in Columbus, Wisconsin, were told by local officials on Friday to drink bottled water as a precaution against contamination after an explosion and subsequent fire earlier this week at a Columbus Chemical Industries plant, according to local news reports.
The plant, which produced sulphuric acid and hydrochloric acid, exploded on Monday, and the fire continued through Wednesday
Plant officials have said they do not know the cause of the fire.
Local officials say they would hand out bottled water to residents for two weeks while awaiting further test results.
To discuss issues facing the chemical industry go to ICIS connect
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections