Thai PTT Asahi Chemical to start up Map Ta Phut project in July

08 June 2011 11:19  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Thailand’s oil and gas major PTT confirmed on Wednesday that its joint venture project with Japan’s Asahi Kasei Chemicals in Map Ta Phut will start commercial production late next month.

“It is in the commissioning phase. The commercial start-up will be within the third quarter, probably by the end of July,” said Pirada Dokangkab, spokesperson for PTT’s downstream business.

The project includes a 200,000 tonne/year acrylonitrile (ACN) plant and a 70,000 tonne/year methyl methacrylate (MMA) plant, to be operated by PTT Asahi Chemical – the joint venture firm of PTT and Asahi Kasei Chemicals.

A total of 160,000 tonnes/year of ammonium sulphate is expected to be produced as a by-product, according to PTT Asahi Chemical’s website.

The start-up has been delayed by more than year because of environmental issues that hounded a number of projects in Rayong province.

A temporary court injunction was issued on a total of 76 projects in the province in September 2009 on grounds of environmental pollution. A third of the projects hit are PTT’s.

“We [had] to wait for the definition and list of projects that [are] deemed causing severe environment[al] hazard, which came out at the end of last year. Only after that can we proceed with the construction, testing and running [of the projects],” Dokangkab said.

PTT and Asahi Kasei Chemicals equally control 97% of PTT Asahi Chemical, while the remaining 3% is held by Japanese trading firm Marubeni.

Additional reporting by Junie Lin


By: Pearl Bantillo
+65 6780 4359



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index