Saudi Arabia’s APC shuts Al-Jubail PP plants on technical woes

10 October 2011 11:04  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Saudi Arabia’s Advanced Petrochemical Company (APC) unexpectedly shut its two polypropylene (PP) units last week at Al-Jubail for about 10 days because of a technical outage, a source close to the company said on Monday.

The nameplate capacity at each of the PP plants is 225,000 tonnes/year, the source said.

The company official could not be reached for a confirmation on the shutdown date.

A Shanghai-based trader, who is close to APC, said on 8 October the plant was shut on 5 October.

“The official statement by APC did not illustrate which section the technical problem occurred, but the company is planning to resume its production in 10 days’ time,” the trader added.

The unexpected shutdown will not affect the regular distribution of PP in China as APC has ample inventory, the trader added.

State-owned Saudi Industrial Development Fund owns a 47% stake in APC, while the remaining 53% is held by private Saudi Arabian and foreign investors.

($1 = CNY6.38)

Additional reporting by Ong Sheau Ling

For more on polypropylene, visit ICIS chemical intelligence
Please visit the complete ICIS plants and projects database


By: Belle Huo



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index