BP to invest $600m on third PTA plant in Zhuhai, China - source

14 November 2011 05:57  [Source: ICIS news]

Zhuhai in ChinaSHANGHAI (ICIS)--UK oil giant BP has signed a framework contract agreement with the Zhuhai municipal government in China for the construction of a $600m (€432m) purified terephthalic acid (PTA) plant in Guangdong province – the company’s third at the site, a government source said on Monday.

The agreement on the 1.25m tonne/year plant was signed on Sunday, the government source said.

BP’s joint venture with Chinese conglomerate Zhuhai Fuhua Group – BP Zhuhai – will operate the plant. BP holds an 85% stake in the joint venture company, while Zhuhai Fuhua holds the remaining 15%.

BP officials could not be reached for comment on the project.

The third plant will increase BP Zhuhai’s total PTA capacity 2.95m tonnes/year, making the Zhuhai municipality one of the world’s biggest production bases for the chemical, the government source said.

PTA is the preferred raw material used to manufacture polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a widely used polyester polymer for the production of textiles, bottles, packaging and film products.

BP’s PTA project is still subject to the approval of National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), which oversees and approves infrastructure investments in China, the source from the Zhuhai local government said.

Construction of the new plant is expected to begin in the first quarter of next year, with commercial operations slated in the first quarter of 2014, the government source said.

The company currently operates two PTA plants in Zhuhai that have a combined capacity of 1.5m tonnes/year, with a plan to increase the capacity by 200,000 tonnes/year by the first quarter of 2012 via debottlenecking.

China's total PTA capacity this year stood at 20.07m tonnes, according to Chemease, an ICIS service in China.

($1 = €0.72)

Please visit the complete ICIS plants and projects database
Read John Richardson and Malini Hariharan’s blog – Asian Chemical Connections


By: Adele Zhu



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly

ICIS news FREE TRIAL
Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)
ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index