22 February 2012 22:44 [Source: ICIS news]
PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil (ICIS)--Within nine months, Brazilian citrus industry will be able to deliver concentrated orange juice to the US with no carbendazim, a trade group said on Wednesday.
The move followed a letter by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which said it would remove orange juice from the market if it had unacceptable levels of the fungicide.
FDA said it is sampling imported shipments of orange juice and will deny entry to shipments that test positive for carbendazim.
The trade group, CitrusBR, said it does not agree with the FDA's decision, but it will accept it.
"Brazilian industry said OK to FDA's decision, despite not agreeing with it, as carbendazim is a legal product in the European Union, Japan and Australia. As the US is an important market for Brazilian citrus producers, the industry decided to accept FDA's decision," CitrusBR said.
The association said the US represents 13% of total Brazilian orange juice exports.
Within that amount, 65% of Brazilian exports to US are from non-concentrate orange juice, which is carbendazim free, the industry group said. The other 35% is concentrated orange juice.
On its request, Brazil asked the FDA distinguish between frozen concentrate and not-from-concentrate, saying a 60 parts per billion (ppb) carbendazim tolerance for the former since not-from-concentrate is diluted to about six times the volume of concentrate, CitrusBR said.
The FDA refused, saying its policy is to apply the 10 ppb limit on juice regardless of its concentration.
Brazil can still export ready-to-drink orange juice as it has no carbendazim in it.
For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.
Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.
|ICIS news FREE TRIAL|
|Get access to breaking chemical news as it happens.|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX)|
|ICIS Global Petrochemical Index (IPEX). Download the free tabular data and a chart of the historical index|
Asian Chemical Connections