Libya cracker restart unlikely before January

23 October 2012 13:12  [Source: ICIS news]

LONDON (ICIS)--Libya’s cracker at Ras Lanuf is unlikely to restart before the end of the year, a National Oil Corporation (NOC) source said on Tuesday.

The source said that there were “many issues” to resolve before restart would be possible, including feedstock specification issues and mechanical problems.

The source added that contrary to market speculation that a restart had already been attempted, this had not been the case.

“We never started it,” said the source, which added that it hoped production would be back in January.

The cracker, which according to ICIS data has the capacity to produce 330,000 tonnes/year of ethylene and 170,000 tonnes/year of propylene, was shut down in February 2011 at the onset of the Libyan civil war.

NOC had previously eyed a restart in the second quarter and then in the fourth quarter of 2012.

It recently restarted one of its two 330,000 tonne/year methanol plants at Marsa El-Brega.

($1 = €0.77)

Follow Nel Weddle on Twitter


By: Nel Weddle
+44 20 8652 3214



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly