Elevance, Wilmar to start up Indonesia biofuel JV by year-end

02 November 2012 11:23  [Source: ICIS news]

SINGAPORE (ICIS)--Elevance Renewable Sciences and palm oil major Wilmar are on track to start up their joint venture biofuel and bio-olefin plant in Gresik, Indonesia, by the end of the year, an Elevance official said on Friday.

“The plant, which will use palm oil as feedstock, will initially have a capacity of 180,000 tonnes/year which is expandable to 360,000 tonnes/year,” said Andy Corr, platform leader – consumer intermediates and ingredients, with Elevance, on the sidelines of the 2nd ICIS Asian Surfactants Conference.

About 80% of the output from the facility will consist of biofuel, while the remaining 20% will be bio-olefin, a key ingredient for jet fuel.

Elevance is also setting up a 300,000 tonne/year wholly-owned biofuel facility at Natchez, Mississippi, in the US, in the next few  years, he said. The exact timeline for the start-up of the US facility has not yet been finalised, he added.

The US plant will use canola and soy oil as feedstock, Corr said. “The idea is to use locally available bio-feedstock,” he said.

In Asia, the most plentiful bio feedstock materials are palm oil, soy oil, rapeseed oil and jetropa, he said.

The two-day conference ends on Friday.


By: Prema Viswanathan
+65 6780 4359



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly