Uruguay ALUR inaugurates biodiesel plant in Montevideo

12 June 2013 23:20  [Source: ICIS news]

MEDELLIN, Colombia (ICIS)--Alcoholes del Uruguay (ALUR), a subsidiary of Uruguayan state oil company Ancap, inaugurated on Wednesday a new biodiesel plant at the Capurro Industrial Park in the nation’s capital Montevideo.

The $15m (€11m) plant, developed through a partnership with Sweden’s Alfa Laval, has a production capacity of 65m litres/year of biodiesel, the company said.

The plant will use soybean, canola, sunflower and beef tallow as feedstock and will also produce glycerol and 140,000 tonnes/year of vegetable protein for livestock feed.

The facility, together with ALUR’s 20m litre/year Paso de la Arena biofuels plant, will allow Uruguay to increase the biodiesel content in domestic gasoil to almost 10%, the company said.

A statement on the nation’s presidential website said the opening of the new plant was “a step towards energy and food independence in the country”.

ALUR is owned by Ancap, which has a 90% stake in the company, and Venezuela’s state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), which holds the remaining 10%.

ALUR is currently building a $130m ethanol complex in the city of Paysandu in western Uruguay, with operations to begin at the end of 2014.

According to the company’s website, the plant is expected to produce approximately 70m litres/year of ethanol and 60m kilos/year of high-protein livestock feed.

($1 = €0.75)


By: Simon West
713-525-2653



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For the latest chemical news, data and analysis that directly impacts your business sign up for a free trial to ICIS news - the breaking online news service for the global chemical industry.

Get the facts and analysis behind the headlines from our market leading weekly magazine: sign up to a free trial to ICIS Chemical Business.

Printer Friendly